Horizon Discovery is an award-winning Biotechnology company headquartered in Cambridge, UK. Using our proprietary gene-editing platform and deep scientific expertise, we design and engineer genetically-modified cells that are applied in research and clinical applications. Our rapidly growing product catalogue, service offering and research programmes are powering progress to understand the genetics drivers of disease and ultimately advance human health.
Cell Engineering is at the core of Horizon Discovery and this post-holder will be responsible for a team of gene engineering scientists generating in vitro models for fee-paying commercial clients, internal research programmes as well as for product development purposes under the direction of the Head of Cell Line Engineering.
Specific role activities:
- Coach, mentor and develop staff, including overseeing new employee on-boarding and providing career development planning and opportunities.
- Manage the recruitment process, identify key skills for the ideal candidates, shortlist, conduct interviews and select new hires.
- Provide effective performance feedback through employee recognition, rewards and disciplinary action, with the assistance of HR Business Partner when necessary.
- Maintain transparent communication. Appropriately communicate organisation information through one-on-one meetings, email and regular interpersonal communication.
- Empower employees to take responsibility for their jobs and goals. Delegate responsibility and expect accountability and regular feedback.
- Drive and support a high level of colleague engagement through team building, career skill development and recognising accomplishments.
- Ensure cost effective deployment of all people, materials, processes, systems and equipment to ensure that we continue to create increasing scalable value and maintain path to profit.
- Ensuring projects fulfil the customers’ requirements within budget and to agreed timeframes.
- Development and implementation of new process and technology improvements together with fostering a continuous process improvement mind-set within the team.
- To provide regular accurate updates to the Head of Cell Line Engineering and the project management office.
- To maintain an awareness of current techniques and technologies in the area of gene editing.
As the ideal candidate:
- You will be a team player with strong interpersonal skills and empowerment capacity to inspire and ignite others and to develop their talents and abilities
- You will have proven experience as a strong manager, ideally in cross functional teams, with multiple direct reports.
- You will have practical experience of in vitro gene editing techniques with strong molecular and cell biology skills, allowing for data interpretation and troubleshooting or your own and others work.
- You should be comfortable working in a fast-paced, team environment and on multiple projects with constantly changing priorities and deadlines, be well organized, self-motivated and have excellent communication skills and attention to detail.
Successful candidates will need to be highly motivated, driven, team player with excellent communication skills, attention to detail and excellent record keeping. You should be comfortable working in a fast paced environment.
In return we offer a varied and interesting working environment and we are focused on recognition and empowerment of our scientists and operational teams and a competitive salary and benefits package, including:
Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
Medical, Health & Life Insurances
Employee share purchase plan (Sharesave)
25 days annual leave
One paid working day each year for volunteering
Free car parking