We're looking for an experienced life sciences sales professional with a proven successful track record of selling into Pharma, Biotech and Academia across Boston, Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont
General Position Summary:
The Business Development Manager (“BDM”) role at Horizon is responsible for the growth, pursuit and maintenance of the full Horizon portfolio across their assigned territory. Reporting to a local Head of Sales, the BDM will plan, implement and track field strategies to drive revenue in the assigned territory and establish a high level of customer intimacy.
Following the recent acquisition of Dharmacon, this is an exciting time to join Horizon as we take our combined portfolio forward into 2018 and build on the significant market opportunities that this partnership offers.
The BDM will be required to develop a functional level of technical expertise with both the Horizon and Dharmacon portfolios and liaise with internal departments such as Marketing, Product Management, Customer Service and Technical Service.
The BDM’s short term goal is to expand our combined brand, build customer loyalty, and to exceed Commercial goals set at the beginning of each year. Long term the BDM is expected to develop a high level of business acumen in the Horizon core markets and contribute to the identification of new market opportunities for consideration by Product Management.
BDM US NE Job Description:
As the BDM for the US North East Territory, the role will be part of the in-field US BD team and will be responsible for selling the full Horizon portfolio to clients in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, CRO, diagnostic, clinical laboratory and academic areas across Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont, as well as working alongside our existing Boston BDM to support the significant customer base in Boston,
The position is responsible for identification of new prospects, qualification of leads, preparation of quotes/proposals and closing business with new clients as well as with both Horizon and Dharmacon’s existing client base in the region. The BDM will focus on the pursuit of new clients and new business opportunities as their primary responsibility, whilst always ensuring that good on-going relationships are maintained with existing clients.
To accomplish this goal, the BDM is expected to travel extensively (2-3 weeks per month) and develop customer intimacy through frequent impactful contacts. Ideally this role will be based in or around Cambridge MA but other locations in the region with good travel connections will be considered.
- Must be self-directed and self-motivated to work at a highly technical & commercial level.
- Drive the customer sales process for the combined Horizon and Dharmacon portfolio for sales opportunities in the territory through customer facing visits, presentations, phone and e-mail communication as appropriate.
- Prospect for new customers (Pharmaceutical ,CRO, Biotechnology, Diagnostic, Research Centres, Hospitals, SMEs, Clinical Labs, Academia) on a routine basis in the defined territory and track prospecting efforts closely.
- Work along with the Head of Sales to establish/execute a territory sales plan that supports the goals of the business and review the territory sales plan on a quarterly basis.
- Drive the progression of opportunities through the sales process and employ management as necessary to close opportunities and shorten the sales cycle
- Manage existing key customers within the territory to maintain and solidify these valued relationships and capture follow-up sales.
- Consistently use the CRM (Salesforce.com) as a primary tool for territory management, opportunity management, marketing and reporting. and accurate revenue forecasting
- Present a Quarterly Territory Review to the Head of Sales on Territory performance, Competitor activities, Distributor relationships (where applicable).
- Exhibit proficiency in Miller Heiman sales techniques including daily usage of blue/green sheets to understand the customers’ needs and frame the Horizon value proposition
- Understand terms and conditions, liaise between legal and customer to finalize contracts.
- Develop comfort level with Horizon portfolio and recognize new market opportunities for Horizon to consider.
- Demonstrate clear and concise technical presentation skills and establish an ability to liaise with internal technical personnel to develop customer relevant content.
- Evaluate, attend and support local trade shows and conferences.
- Attend quarterly/yearly sales meetings and training sessions.
- Embody Horizon Discovery’s cultural values and company culture.
- Responsible for exhibiting professional behaviour with both internal and external business associates that reflects positively on the company and is consistent with the company’s policies and practices.
- Travel throughout the territory to develop new business, support customers, and to understand market conditions (estimated 60-70% travel of which 30% is overnight).
Qualification, knowledge and key skills
- Proven, successful track record of relevant direct selling in a sales/business development role in a life sciences environment.
- Demonstrated ability to build customer relationships, understand customer needs and articulate technical value propositions that provide solutions for customers.
- Self-motivated, results oriented and success driven
- A team player with strong interpersonal skills and empowerment capacity to inspire and ignite others to develop their abilities
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to new developments within the organization, embrace change and execute the new plan
- Fundamental understanding of drug discovery and/or diagnostics and the supporting technologies, products and services
- Degree in Life Sciences, Molecular Biology or Biochemistry preferred
- High aptitude to learn technical and scientific information.
- Detail oriented with strong written and verbal communication skills, including presentation skills
- Ability to work independently, within prescribed guidelines, and as a team member.
- Familiarity and respect for the importance of maintaining the integrity of the CRM database regarding opportunities and customer related information.
- Proven reasoning abilities with a clear capability to identify problems and present solutions.
- Time management skills with the ability to prioritize tasks to deliver primary objectives.
- Experience with Microsoft Office, CRM Databases, LinkedIn Sales Navigator and proficiency in internet searches
- Proven track record of success in closing complex and large revenue value deals
- Valid Driver’s License.
Previous experience with Miller Heiman sales methodology is preferred but not essential.
Horizon Discovery is an award-winning Biotechnology company headquartered in Cambridge, UK with a global presence across the US, Europe and APAC regions. Using our proprietary gene-editing platform and deep scientific expertise, we design and engineer genetically-modified cells that are applied in research and clinical applications. Our rapidly growing product catalogue, service offering and research programmes are powering progress to understand the genetics drivers of disease and ultimately advance human health.