Horizon Discovery is an award-winning Biotechnology company headquartered in Cambridge, UK. Using our proprietary gene-editing platform and deep scientific expertise, we design and engineer genetically-modified cells that are applied in research and clinical applications. Our rapidly growing product catalogue, service offering and research programmes are powering progress to understand the genetics drivers of disease and ultimately advance human health.
The immunology utilizes primary cell models to deliver high throughput solutions to clients looking to identify novel drug interactions and aid compound lead candidate optimisation.
We are seeking a Principal Scientist with extensive immunology experience, who will provide high level scientific expertise and technical leadership for new and ongoing activities within the Immunology Services team. This is a lab based role without line management.
- Independently conduct high quality and complex scientific research with the capacity to prepare high quality reports and/or journal articles clearly disseminating the results of that research.
- Contributes effectively to the strategic direction of research in line with company objectives.
- Can analyse and interpret experimental data and identify and solve problems associated with their own and others’ experiments.
- Aids the search for and procurement of external funding for research projects through sponsor liaison, grant funding and proposal preparation activities.
- Provides planning and scientific direction for, and participates in, large interdisciplinary research projects and research projects in his/her specific expertise area
- Provides mentorship to more junior scientists, including students and is a focus for productive debate both internally and externally
- Links Horizon to external opportunities, sets up external collaborations, presents Horizon to the external world; interact with acknowledged experts.
You will be required confidently engage with customers on a scientific level to:
- Understand their scientific needs
- Design research programmes that answer their key scientific questions
- Discuss results and next steps with customers
- Lead scientific preparation of client facing interpretative reports and data packages
- Review and approve scientific reports prepared by others
- Report on milestone delivery and project status to Department Manager and Project Management Office.
Qualification, knowledge and key skills
- A minimum of 7-10 years of immunology work experience with primary immune cells assay after PhD is strongly preferred.
- Ability to learn new techniques, perform multiple tasks simultaneously, keep accurate records, follow and give instructions, and comply with company policies
- Externally acknowledged expert technical knowledge of major scientific area and the ability to conduct World class scientific research.
- Ability to drive and influence projects in immunology through scientific expertise
- Fluent knowledge of programmatic aspects of research (cost, resources and schedule).
- Proven ability to disseminate research results through publication in reports and peer reviewed journals
- Proven ability to work in a team and to establish and maintain effective professional working relationships, including with peers across disciplines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Flexibility, adaptability and ability to work in a matrix-managed environment
Successful candidates will need to be highly motivated, driven, team player with excellent communication skills, attention to detail and excellent record keeping. You should be comfortable working in a fast paced environment.
In return we offer a varied and interesting working environment and we are focused on recognition and empowerment of our scientists and operational teams and a competitive salary and benefits package, including:
- Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
- Medical, Health & Life Insurances
- Employee share purchase plan (Sharesave)
- 25 days annual leave
- One paid working day each year for volunteering
- Childcare vouchers
- Free car parking